Saturday, March 10, 2012

A Story of Pyrex Abuse with a Happy Ending

I found a new little shop in the downtown of where I live today where I experienced a new type of Pyrex abuse that I've never seen before.  Was it paint?  Nail polish?  I have no idea, but somebody obviously did not like the pattern on this casserole:
I was so distraught, a beautiful blue casserole covered in some type of paint.  What were they thinking?  It was $5 and the store was cash only (and I was cashless.  What was I thinking, thrifting without cash?)  My husband and I had to leave without it, but after I finished running errands I just had to go back and rescue this poor thing.  I stopped at an ATM and got a 20, went back, and then the woman didn't have change!  Somehow, I managed to get $5 in change out of the hubby (I now appreciate when I have to empty the mass amount of change out of his pockets while doing laundry.)

I got it home and started peeling the paint off.  I was really worried the gold was going to come right off with it, but nope, it was my lucky day.  Below this layer of abuse, was this beautiful gem: 1 1/2 quart Golden Bouquet, a pattern new to me:
What I learned today?  Always carry small bills, don't give up, and best of all, some abused Pyrex is possible to save!  Happy Thrifting!
Thrifter Sister Hanna

10 comments:

  1. Amazing! You must have been so excited when that beautiful thing started to show through!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So exciting for sure! It was such a fun surprise, not knowing what pattern it could be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy Moly!! A hidden treasure!! I would have tried to talk the cashier down to $2.50 for it...being "ruined" as it was. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!! What an amazing transformation! I'm so glad you got it, and that you were able to peel all the layers off!! Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. Who would paint nail polish all over Pyrex??? Sheesh, did they dislike the pattern THAT much? I think it's really pretty.

    Good find and good save!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a horrific thing to do! I would have left it for sure- but what an awesome discovery under all that mess. Well done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe they thought painting over the gold would make it microwave safe? Dumb thing to do! I'm so glad you could save such a beautiful piece, Congrats!

    ReplyDelete