Sunday, March 13, 2011

How It All Started


Hi, I’m new here. I have enjoyed reading these blogs for many months now and thought I would share how I got started collecting Pyrex.

I decided I needed some new mixing bowls. Mine were getting much worn and I no longer had one complete set. It didn’t take long for me to discover that vintage Pyrex was so much nicer than anything on the market today. This was what I settled on: a set of four Butterprint bowls in very nice condition, found at an antique store.



Soon after I assembled another three bowl set of Butterprint separately for only a couple dollars each. Still missing a second 4 qt bowl but now I can save the first set. Butterprint must have been very popular where I live because I come across it often in my travels. I also found this 2 1/2 qt Cinderella bowl for only $2 at a local junk store; it has hardly a scratch on it.



My husband has caught the bug as well. Below is his great experiment. We came across this 4 qt bowl in the green New Dot pattern including the Pyrex lid. I had my doubts but he insisted. (I am working on my photographic skills; the dots really are green!)



It looked hopeless with baked on grime; I should have taken a "before" picture. You could hardly see through the lid and the bowl looked brownish yellow. He scrubbed it up and now the outside looks almost new! There are some scratches inside that keep it from being mint but it is shiny and white, and was only $3. I don't know if the bowl originally came with a lid but it is a perfect fit.

That’s all for now but I have a lot more to share. See you later!

3 comments:

  1. Welcome aboard! As much as I love my husband dearly, you don't know what I'd give to have him thrift for Pyrex for me. Lucky lady and great pieces. I'm jealous!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find butterprint so very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely Butterprint pieces and that New Dot bowl is to.die.for.!!

    ReplyDelete