Monday, June 6, 2011

Thrift Store Hunting

While I started my collection in an antique store, there's something about thrift shopping that's much more satisfying. I think it's the thrill of the hunt. I know I can get in my car anytime and be in an antique mecca in an hour, where, for a price, I can find just about any Pyrex I want. It somehow feels wrong, like cheating. I love the idea of walking into a thrift store and not knowing exactly what I'll find, or whether I'll find anything at all. Yes, it can be frustrating, and I strike out a lot. Yes, it means my collection is largely controlled by what's available, and not necessarily what I'd buy if I had free range. But this all makes it fun. I thought I'd show off some of my finds from the last month, all from Goodwill and Salvation Army.


This Homestead 1.5 qt casserole was my first real thrift find. I found it along with a pristine Fire King casserole (not pictured for obvious reasons). This piece is what got me hooked on the thrift store bug and let me start believing that I, too, could find amazing deals at thrift stores. This is in perfect condition and cost $3.


This 402 Colonial Mist mixing bowl needed a little TLC. It had metal scratches all along the outside. With a combination of magic eraser and baking powder, I was able to remove all but the most stubborn scratches. You really have to look close to see any imperfections now. Price was right at $2.


Butterfly Gold is one of my favorite patterns, and I was so happy to find this 1.5 qt casserole. It's in perfect shape, although missing its lid. It cost $2, and the cashier apologized for it being priced so high! This, along with the two previously photographed pieces are all from the same Goodwill. There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason for it, but I seem to have better luck at this one store than all the others I've hit combined.


A collection of mugs from a couple of different thrift stores. They were $2 each. I'm guessing the tea cups once had saucers? If so, I'd love to find them one day.

I think I'm doing well for my first month of collecting. I hope to be able to come back soon with more to show! Good luck out there, fellow thrift addicts!

3 comments:

  1. I agree - thrift stores and yard sales are the best choices - it's still always fun though to go to an antique market and exclaim over all the high priced items and wish they belonged to you! I've been collecting since September - I can't believe the nice pieces I've gotten since then. Good luck on the hunt....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you: it's all about the thrill of the chase. There's nothing like finding a piece you really want "out in the wild", not to mention bragging rights on the Pyrex Collective!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing like the thrill of the hunt! That's half the fun of collecting Pyrex! I do pick up some pieces at antique stores if the price isn't too high, but the majority of my Pyrex comes from thrift stores.

    ReplyDelete